Thursday, July 9, 2009

Why do we avoid having our photo taken ?

So.... Just like most of us.
I have bad hair day, bad skin day, ugly face day.
And day by day.... I noticed if I don't have make up on, I refuse to take a photo.
If I'm only at home wearing super comfy baggy clothes, I refuse to take a photo.
If it's windy, I refuse to take a photo coz the wind messes up my hair.
and that's ridiculous !!!

I mean....
I was that kid who loves getting her pic taken.
I was that kid who always smile in every photo.
and what changed ?
Have I suddenly gotten ugly ?
Have I suddenly gotten so repulsed of how I look ?
Come on !!

and it's not just me....
As a kid, I've noticed older people are not so keen on being photographed.
I've notice my uncles not really interested when I tried to snap their pics.
my aunties, my dad, my parents' friends, etc etc.
Now I think I know why.... kinda

As people get older,
probably starting when we're teenagers up onwards.
We start not to like what they see in front of the mirror.
(braces, pimples, greasy hair, oily face, lines on your face, thinning hair, big nose, double chin, etc etc)
we feel a bit disappointed that we are not the perfect image.
we compare ourselves with that pretty face in the magazines and TV.
hey... we even compare ourselves to our friend that always seems to look perfect at every pic.
but that's not a reason to not like what we look like.
You are still you.
That person in the mirror is still you.
All that imperfection is what makes you unique and beautiful.
Yeah you can put on a make up to look fresh and pretty.
Yeah you can cover up that pimple.
Yeah you can wear a hat to cover your bald spot.
But.... you are still you.
and you need to love however you look like.

I've seen photos of myself when I was fat
I've seen photos of me when I thought I looked ugly
Ive seen photos of me when I'm screaming
Back then, I thought I looked hideous in those photos.
But Now... looking back at those photos.
I didn't look as bad as I thought I did.
I looked pretty
but most importantly I looked happy.

So.... there's no more reason for me to avoid being photographed now
and I've decided to do My Project 365.
Take a photo of yourself everyday for 365 days.
I've decided to take a photo of me everyday no matter how I look like.
But right before every photo, I'd say to myself "I look my best today" and I know I do :)
Just by saying that I'm changing my own perception about myself, I feel better about myself.
It gives me a kick-start of a more radiant me.
then I give a big smile and take my pic. :D

I'm not going to post my photos, but I'd imagine how fun it'd be to browse through those pics.

Even when I don't have time to take my photo because I'm in a hurry.
(I need to work on waking up early and not being late all the time ;p haha)
I'd look at myself in the mirror and smile and know that I look good.
that alone boost my confidence and self esteem.
just by doing that makes me appreciate my beautiful self
and I'm ready to start the day with a positive attitude :)

No comments: